Fried Sweet Potato and an EggCourse: breakfast for dinnerDifficulty: Easy
Sweet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed, peeled, and sliced thin
Canola oil and olive oil/real butter
Fresh ground black pepper
- Set up your mise-en-place. You will need a plate with paper towels to place cooked potatoes on to dry and sprinkle salt on. Slice sweet potatoes thin. You can use a chef’s knife or a mandolin if you have one.
- Get a thick pan heating up. Med-med/high. I used my cast iron.
- Once pan is heated, pour canola oil in pan, just enough to submerge sweet potato slices.
- Once oil is heated, put in your potato slices. Don’t crowd the pan. Be patient.
- Use your judgement on when to turn with tongs.. You are looking for crispiness.
- Flip potatoes when ready. Keep a look out for crispy surfaces. It’s subtle so look closely.
- Remove potatoes, place on plate with paper towels. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Frying the Egg
- While you are making the potatoes, fry an egg. Heat non-stick pan to med-med/high
- Crack egg on flat surface and then set into small bowl.
- When pan is heated, add the butter or olive oil. Wait until the oil/butter is heated before placing in the egg.
- While tilting the pan, place the egg in carefully and wait until the whites set.
- Cook to desired doneness. I prefer over-easy to enjoy the creamy yolk mixed into the potatoes. As the whites are setting. Add salt and pepper.
- Look for the white close to the yolk to become opaque. Once it is, it’s ready to eat. To speed up the cooking of the white on top you can tilt the pan and spoon butter/oil onto the top of the whites
- Arrange the potatoes on plate and add egg on top.