I think it turned out pretty well – wouldn’t you agree?
How to Poach an EggCourse: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
The perfect poached egg
Vinegar, 1-2 caps
- Take a large, fairly deep pan and fill it with 1 inch of water. Heat to the point where it is a steady bubble. Not quite a boil – maybe 200 degrees F.
- Add a good pinch of salt
- And 1-2 caps of vinegar. This helps keep the whites together. The amount of vinegar is variable depending on your skill and whether you prefer a messy poached egg.
- Crack egg (on flat surface) into small cup or bowl. You want to use a fresh egg.
- Gently slip egg into water
- Cook to desired doneness. Soft boiled should be 3-5 minutes. Hard boiled a few minutes longer. This requires experimentation. To test for doneness, use a slotted spoon to lift egg out of water. You are looking for the white to be set and the yolk with a film over it. You can wiggle the poached egg to determine doneness. The yolk should jiggle but not TOO much.
- Once done, lift out of water with slotted spoon and let water drain for a few seconds. Either place directly on toast, etc. or place on paper towel to drain.
Also, check out my video on how to fry an egg!